Chef Josh Gale’s Peppermint Chocolate Dipped Hazelnut Shortbread cookies are a holiday favourite for Canadians young and old. Get the whole family involved dipping these delicious cookies in chocolate and rolling them in crushed candy cane for a festive finishing touch.
Peppermint Chocolate Dipped Hazelnut Shortbreads
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
-1 cup (250 mL) hazelnuts, skin off
-1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
-½ tsp (2.25 mL) salt
-½ tsp (2.25 ml) baking powder
-½ cup (125 mL) butter, cubed (room temperature)
-⅓ cup (75 mL) white sugar
-1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
-1 cup (250 mL) melted dark or milk chocolate
-½ cup (125 mL) candy cane, crushed
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C). Place hazelnuts in a blender or food processor and pulse until they are the texture of coarse sand.
2. Whisk together flour, salt and baking powder.
3. Using either a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a wooden spoon and a bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until incorporated. Slowly add the flour mixture until evenly mixed, then add the hazelnuts and fold in.
4. Divide the dough by 12 and form circles with them on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until just lightly golden brown and firm.
5. Once cooled slightly, dip half of each cookie into the melted chocolate, place them back on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and drizzle the melted chocolate with the crushed candy cane. Leave for 30 minutes to set up and enjoy!