Chef Josh Gale shared with us this delicious Savoury Ham and Cheese Crêpes with Sunny Side Up Eggs recipe. A festive twist on a classic crêpe, this eggy side dish can be made fresh or prepared with your favourite holiday ham or turkey. Packed with flavour, these savoury crêpes are perfect for sharing with friends and family.
Savoury Ham and Cheese Crêpes with Sunny Side Up Eggs
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 ¼ cup (295 mL) milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, plus a little extra for greasing the skillet
- 1 tbsp (2.5 grams) fresh thyme leaves
- Pinch of sea salt
- ¼ cup (60 mL) butter, divided
- 8 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 cup (215 grams) grated Gruyère cheese
- 8 slices of ham or turkey
- 1 tbsp (2.5 grams) sliced chives
1. Combine milk, two eggs, flour and 1 tbsp (15 mL) melted butter in a mixing bowl. Whisk until batter is smooth and has no lumps. Add fresh thyme leaves and salt and fold into the batter.
2. Lightly butter a 10-inch (25.4 cm) non-stick skillet over medium heat.
3. Pour 1/4 cup (60 mL) of the batter into the pan and move it side to side so the entire surface is covered in a thin layer of batter.
4. Allow the crêpe to cook until the top begins to bubble.
5. Use a spatula to gently flip the crêpe and allow the other side to finish cooking, about 1 minute.
6. Remove the cooked crêpe from the pan and transfer to a plate to rest. Repeat with the remaining batter, creating 8 cooked crêpes. The crêpes can be prepared in advance and stored in the fridge in plastic wrap or parchment paper for 2-3 days.
7. Wipe the skillet and return to the heat, add 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of butter and gently crack 8 eggs into the pan. Allow to cook over low heat until the egg whites are cooked through.
8. Season the eggs with salt and pepper and set them aside.
9. Melt a little more butter in the skillet and add one crêpe. Sprinkle the crêpe with grated Gruyère, add a slice of ham or turkey, and top it with a cooked egg. Fold the edges of the crêpe into the middle, leaving the yolk visible.
10. Cook the crêpe until it is crispy on the bottom.
11. When the crêpes are finished cooking, transfer them to a plate and garnish with sliced chives.