As the holidays near and we start to see our friends and loved ones more frequently, we often search for new recipes to impress during the festivities. If you’re looking for a savoury recipe, this delicious Pizzeria Libretto Meatball recipe is just for you! Made for 4-6 people, this creation includes traditional ingredients like chives, oregano, roasted red peppers and Parmigiano cheese, and is perfect for hosting or as an appetizer for your holiday dinner!
Meatballs from Pizzeria Libretto
Serves 4-6 people
- 1 1⁄2 kg ground beef / ground pork shoulder
- 3⁄4 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup parsley chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chives, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup oregano, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup roasted red peppers, pureed
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano cheese, finely grated
- 1⁄2 tbspn salt
- 1⁄2 tbspn black pepper
1. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl making sure everything is mixed together
2. Use standard ice cream scoop to portion the meatballs.
3. Roll the meat in the hand to give it a tight circular shape and place on a large sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
4. Bake in the oven at 375C for 20 – 30 min. (flip meatballs half way through)
5. Remove from oven and set aside.
Tomato Sauce For Meatballs
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 large onion, finely diced
- 1 tbspn garlic (2 cloves), finely chopped
- 1 liter canned San Marsano tomato, pureed
- 1⁄4 basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 tbspn salt
- 1 cup Parmigiano cheese (coarsely grated)
1. Add 1⁄4 cup of olive oil to a large enough pot that the meatballs will fit.
2. Sautee the onions over medium heat till translucent.
3. Add chopped garlic and saute for another minute
4. Add the tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
5. Once the tomato sauce comes to a simmer, add the meatballs.
6. Add the chopped basil, and simmer for about 30 – 40 minutes.
7. In a bowl, place 3 meatballs (or however many you are serving) and spoon sauce over top the meatballs.
8. Sprinkle-grated Parmigiano cheese over top.
Optional: Garlic Bread
- 4 large slices of day-old bread from a baguette or focaccia, index finger thick
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups grated brick mozzarella (marble cheese works too)
- 2 tbspn dried oregano
1. Butter crostini with about 1⁄2 tbspn
2. Sprinkle with about 1 tbspn of grated Parmigiano cheese on each crostino
3. Add about 1⁄2 cup of grated cheese to each crostino.
4. Sprinkle with dried oregano
5. Bake in a 375-degree oven till light golden in colour. Remove from oven and serve with meatballs.