Jarelle Hepburn’s Classic Jamaican Jerk Chicken with Rice & Peas recipe is a delightful and easy-to-follow dish that captures the essence of Jamaican cuisine. Perfect for any occasion, this flavourful recipe is sure to impress with its bold spices and aromatic flavours. Experience the taste of the Caribbean in your own kitchen with this quick and easy Jamaican recipe that is guaranteed to become a family favourite.
As the proud owner of the Badman Kitchen food truck, Jarelle is dedicated to bringing the authentic flavours of Jamaican cuisine to the masses. With this recipe, you can now recreate the magic of his food truck experience in your own kitchen. Prepare to be delighted by the robust and soulful flavours of Jamaican jerk chicken, perfectly complemented by the fragrant rice and peas.
Classic Jamaican Jerk Chicken with Rice & Peas
- 2 cups of rice
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 can of pigeon peas
- 1 scallion stalk (green onion)
- 1/4 scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 stalk of thyme
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp allspice
1. Begin by rinsing the rice thoroughly, repeating the process until the water runs clear.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the rinsed rice, coconut milk, pigeon peas, salt, black pepper, and allspice.
3. Finely chop the scotch bonnet pepper and add it to the pot, adjusting the amount according to your desired level of spiciness.
4. Add enough water to cover the ingredients, aiming for a total of 4 cups of liquid.
5. Stir the ingredients until well combined.
6. Crush the scallion stalk in your hand and add it to the pot, along with the thyme stalk.
7. Cover the saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat.
8. Once the mixture reaches a boil, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for approximately 18 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and the flavours have melded together.
9. Remove the scallion and thyme stalk from the pot.
10. Fluff the rice with a fork and let it stand for 5 minutes to allow the flavours to fully develop.