February was not only the month of love, but it’s also Canada’s Heart Month. British Columbians can take better care of their hearts by eating fresh fruits and vegetables that have essential vitamins and minerals. BC Blueberries (both fresh and frozen) are great sources of fibre and antioxidants, both of which contribute to heart health.
If you have a sweet tooth, consider making the BC Blueberry White Chocolate Gluten-Free Cupcakes. These cupcakes are the perfect treat for your next gathering or celebration, and in honour of Heart Month, will also give you some of the superfood health benefits that are found in blueberries.
BC Blueberry White Chocolate Gluten-Free Cupcakes
– 1.5 cups (195 g) Gluten-free all-purpose flour
– ½ cup (60 g) Almond flour
– 1.5 tsp (7.5 ml) Xanthan gum
– 1.5 tsp (7.5 ml) Baking powder
– 1.5 tsp (7.5 ml) Baking soda
– ¼ tsp (pinch) Salt
– 3/4 cup (180 g) Unsalted butter (room temperature)
– 3/4 cup (150 g) White sugar
– 2 (100 g) Large eggs (room temperature)
– 3/4 cup (180 ml) 14% Sour cream
– 1 tbsp (15 ml) Lemon zest (approximately the zest from 1 large lemon)
– 1 tbsp (15 ml) Lemon juice – fresh
– 2 cups (300 g) Frozen BC blueberries – divided in half
– 1 cup (150 g) Gluten-free white chocolate chunks, divided in half
– ½ cup (125 g) Cream cheese (room temperature)
– 1/3 cup (80 g) Unsalted butter (room temperature)
– 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) Lemon juice
– 1/8 tsp (pinch) Salt
– 1 cup (100 g) Confectioner’s/Icing sugar, sifted
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°F/160°C and place baking cups in a large muffin pan.
2. In a bowl, combine the gluten-free flour, almond flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, whisk to remove clumps and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, approximately 1 minute. Beat the eggs in one at a time.
4. Alternately mix in the gluten free flour mixture, sour cream, lemon zest and juice, in three intervals. Gently fold in half of the BC blueberries and half of the white chocolate.
5. Spoon into the lined muffin pan. Top with the remaining blueberries and white chocolate
6. Bake in the middle rack of a pre-heated 350°F/160°C oven for 45-55 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
7. Cool for 30 minutes in the muffin pan, then invert on a cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.
1. In a bowl cream together the cream cheese, butter, lemon juice and salt. Slowly add in the sifted confectioner’s/icing sugar until creamy.
2. Frost onto cooled cupcakes.