Two Rivers Meats shared with us this delicious recipe for Canadian Tomahawk Steak with Italian Salsa Verde, perfect for this barbecue season. This tomahawk steak is accompanied by a tasty Salsa Verde, a nice Italian-style variation on the classic tomatillo-focused Salsa Verde, but guaranteed to add some oomph and complement your perfectly cooked steak. While this sauce is certainly flavorful, it’s meant to complement the flavours of the beef, so don’t drown your meat and treat it like a barbecue sauce, using a small dollop on the side or drizzling it over the steak.
Canadian Tomahawk Steak with Italian Salsa Verde
- Tomahawk Steak
- Anchovies, 20 grams
- Capers, 20 grams
- Italian Parsley, 50 grams
- Garlic, 20 grams
- Shallots, 20 grams
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 500 ml
- Crushed Chillies, 5 grams
- Red Wine Vinegar, 25 ml
- Lemon Zest
- Sea Salt & Cracked Pepper to Taste
For the Salsa
1. Finely chop all ingredients and thoroughly mix together. Don’t trust your knife skills? Well, you can toss them all in a food processor, set it to coarse chop, and voila!
For the Steak
1. Let your steak rest and come to room temperature. This allows the muscle fibres to relax and be tender, it also helps for a more even cook.
2. Liberally (meaning, a lot) kosher salt and pepper your steak. Nothing else is needed.
3. Cook the steak until it reaches 120 degrees. (we strongly recommend using a meat thermometer)
4. Let it rest again. The steak will continue to cook and end up around a perfect med-rare.
5. Once settled, slice against the grain — just an additional step for tenderness.