Looking for something warm and hearty to cook this winter season? Mazola sent us this recipe for their White Chicken Chili for our readers to try at home. Enjoy!
White Chicken Chili
Cooking time: 6 hours and 30 minutes
Makes 10 Servings
Level of difficulty: Beginner
● 1-1/2 cups dried navy beans
● 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
● 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
● 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cumin seed
● 3/4 teaspoon leaf oregano
● 3/4 teaspoon black medium grind pepper
● 1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced into bite-sized pieces
● 1 tablespoon Mazola Canola Oil
● 2 celery stalks, diced
● 2 carrots, diced
● 1 cup diced onion
● 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
● 1 can (14 ounces) reduced sodium chicken broth
● 1 cup salsa verde, divided
● 1-1/2 cups water
● 1 can (5.3 ounce) evaporated milk
● 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
● 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
● Sliced jalapenos and chopped cilantro, optional
1. Soak beans in four cups of water overnight.
2. Combine flour, garlic, cumin, oregano and black pepper in a large resealable plastic bag.
3. Place chicken in bag and gently toss with flour mixture to completely coat.
4. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat; add chicken to skillet.
5. Sauté chicken until lightly browned about 6 to 8 minutes.
6. Remove any floating beans; drain water and place beans in slow cooker.
7. Add vegetables, chicken broth, 1/2 cup salsa verde and water to the slow cooker.
8. Place chicken in slow cooker; stir to combine ingredients.
9. Cook on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours or LOW for 7 to 9 hours or until beans are tender.
10. Stir in remaining salsa verde, evaporated milk, cheese and cilantro.
11. Serve with sliced jalapenos and additional cilantro, if desired.