Earls shared with us their Mocha Kahlua Pie recipe. It is an update of Chuck’s recipe for their longest-serving dessert, now child-safe, with a fraction of the original’s alcohol content.
Mocha Kahlua Pie
Makes one 9 – inch (23 cm) cake
- 1½ cups (375 mL) Oreo crumbs
- 2.67 oz (75 g or 1/3 cup/80 mL) salted butter
- 12 cups (3 L) vanilla ice cream
- ¼ cup (60 mL) cold espresso
- Mocha Kahlua sauce (recipe follows)
1. Combine the Oreo crumbs and melted butter in a bowl and stir until the crumbs resemble coarse sand.
2. Line the base of a 9-inch (23 cm) springform pan with parchment paper, folding the excess paper underneath the base to form a tighter seal along the edge of the pan and base. Grease the base and sides well.
3. Transfer the Oreo crumb mixture to the base and press down along the edges using a metal measuring cup. Set aside while preparing the ice cream filling.
4. Mix together the ice cream and espresso on medium speed using the paddle attachment of a stand or hand-held mixer until completely combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl often.
5. Do not allow ice cream to melt too far; it should retain a “soft serve” consistency, still thick, smooth and heavy.
6. Transfer into the pan with the prepared Oreo crumb base. Smooth out the top using an offset spatula and cover with plastic wrap. Freeze overnight.
7. To create clean slices, use a hot knife and clean the knife before each slice. Serve each slice drizzled with mocha Kahlua sauce.
Mocha Kahlua Sauce
You can substitute extra coffee instead of Kahlua if you prefer this without alcohol. Frangelico or Grand Marnier can also be substituted for the Kahlua.
Makes 2 cups (500 ml)
- 12 oz (350 g) dark or semi-sweet chocolate 1/3 cup (80 mL) heavy cream
- ¼ cup (60 mL) coffee 3 tbsp (45 mL) Kahlua
1. Melt the chocolate in a metal bowl over a pot of simmering water (or use a double boiler).
2. Add the cream, coffee and Kahlua. Stir very well. The mixture should be smooth and syrupy, and all the chocolate should be melted. Continue to heat if some chocolate remains unmelted.
3. Allow to cool completely. The sauce can be stored refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Note: This cake needs to chill overnight in the freezer, so plan ahead. You can make a double batch of the mocha Kahlua sauce, as it keeps for a long time in the fridge and is perfect for drizzling on top of sundaes, s’mores or even pancakes!
The Earls 40th Anniversary Commemorative Cookbook offers over 120 beloved Earls recipes spanning across food and beverage to keep you prepared for every holiday occasion. New to hosting, interested in picking up culinary as a hobby or simply gifting that special chef in your life? You’ve found the perfect gift.