One Pot Red Wine Braised Short Rib Ragu
– 4 Large Short Rib
– Salt and Pepper
– 3- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 6 cloves garlic crushed
– 1 large sweet onion diced
– 1 large can Crushed Tomatoes 28oz can or close to
– 3/4 to 1 bottle red wine
– 2 bay leafs
– 4 springs thyme
– 400 grams pasta your choice!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Pat short rib dry and season heavily with salt and pepper.
3. In a medium-sized dutch oven or equivalent, on medium-high heat, add 2 – 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil (enough to coat bottom of pan) and brown each side of short ribs. Remove short ribs from heat and set aside.
4. Reduce heat to medium.
5. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil and add onion and smashed garlic. Saute until onion is translucent in colour. Add red wine and allow to cook for approximately 5-10 minutes. Place short rib back into the pot. Add just enough of the crushed tomatoes to just cover the tops of the short rib. Add thyme, and bay leaves.
6. Cover with lid and cook for approximately 3 1/2 hours or until meat falls apart off the bone.
7. Once cooked, remove bones, herbs and shred meat into sauce.
If there is too much liquid, keep sauce on medium – medium-low over the stove with the lid off until sauce thickens.
8. Boil a pot of salted water. Cook pasta until al dente. Transfer cooked noodles into ragu adding 3/4 cup of the pasta water. Mix well.
9. Serve immediately topped with grated Parmesan and/or fresh burrata.