Inspired by his love of Italian cuisine, Chef Josh Gale’s spaghetti carbonara recipe with a poached egg is delicious yet quick and easy to make.
Spaghetti Carbonara with a Poached Egg by Chef Josh Gale
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
-4 egg yolks
-6 whole eggs 1 cup (250 mL) fresh grated Parmesan
-1 cup (250 mL) guanciale, pancetta, or bacon, diced
-2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
-4 tbsp (60 mL) sea salt
-1 tbsp (15 mL) freshly ground black pepper
-1 tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar
-1 lb (0.5 kg) spaghetti
1. Heat 6 qt. (5.6 L) water in a large pot, bring to a simmer and add 3 tbsp (45 mL) salt.
2. Heat 4 qt. (3.7 L) water in a second pot, bring to a simmer and add 1 tbsp (15 mL) salt and 1 tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar.
3. In the large pot, add 1lb (0.5 kg) of spaghetti and cook according to package directions.
4. Meanwhile, crack four whole eggs into a bowl. Gently stir the pot with salt and vinegar to create a slow whirlpool, then slowly pour in the eggs. Cook for 3.5 minutes for a soft poach.
5. Place a pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, then add diced guanciale, pancetta, or bacon.
6. Cook until crispy (around 5 minutes) and remove from the heat.
7. Remove the cooked bacon from the pan and pour out the fat but be sure to leave 3 tbsp (45 mL) of the remaining fat in the pan.
8. While the spaghetti is cooking, whisk four egg yolks and two whole eggs with ½ cup (125 mL) of parmesan until the mixture is smooth.
9. As the pasta is cooking, use a measuring cup to scoop out 1 cup (250 mL) of pasta water and pour this water into the pan with the bacon fat.
10. Use tongs to transfer the cooked spaghetti directly from the pot into the pan with bacon fat and toss to coat.
11. Add cooked bacon pieces, and while tossing or stirring the pasta, slowly pour in the egg yolk mixture.
12. Toss the pasta vigorously to coat and add cracked black pepper.
13. Use tongs to transfer the cooked carbonara to four plates, then use a slotted spoon to transfer one poached egg to the centre of each plate of carbonara.
14. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan over each plate and enjoy!